Last Saturday we went and visited Mystic Caverns. These are some caves just out of town about 10 miles. They stay a cool 59 degrees year round so it was a welcomed change of temperature for us.


After the caves we went and visited the Buffalo River which was absolutely beautiful. I am continually amazed by how beatiful Arkansas is. I have to admit though, I don't know if we'll find a more beatiful spot in Arkansas than this little stretch on the Buffalo.
Finally, I thought I'd share some of the interesting bits of information that help make Harrison and Arkansas as a state what it is.
1. We found out that the second Wal-Mart ever built is here in Harrison. The building has since been updated but we feel privileged to shop there each Saturday.
2. The town of Yellville celebrates Turkey Trot Days every fall. Part of the festivities include throwing live turkeys out of an airplane flying over the festivities. (You can see a video of this on YouTube if you don't believe me.)
3. The town of Toad Suck has it's festival every year and I learned a woman I work with was crowned Ms. Toad Suck a few years back.
Finally, one of the things I was most excited about moving to Arkansas for was to see fireflies again. I remembered being fascinated by these on the two trips to Nauvoo we took as a family growing up, so I was so excited about seeing them again. Wednesday night when I was walking back from working out at the clubhouse I saw the first fireflies of the summer. I was so excited I immediately ran and got Amy and took her outside to see them. I learned Wednesday night that fireflies are even fun to watch when you're 29 years old.

0 comments:
Post a Comment