Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Steve

Happy Happy Birthday to our wonderful husband and daddy who turned 31 on Feb. 20th. We are the luckiest girls in the whole world to be loved by Steve! And we love him back!


And now a cute and chubby baby picture of my husband. Some say London looks very similar.

And with the family rabbit.
Steve's sister Julie sends out cute and creative birthday emails to the family and this year she had Steve's mom write about when he was born. Here is what she said...

Has it really been 31 years since you joined our family?

Steve was due on March 2nd , but couldn’t wait to join our family. In the early morning hours of Feb. 20, I woke up and realized my water had broken. (A first, after 5 other pregnancies.) After waiting all day to get in to see Dr. Howard Francis, he gave me the news that Steve was breech, that I needed to go straight to the hospital and have a baby. Because I had delivered five other children normally, Dr. Francis said he wanted me to deliver Steve naturally, and not by C-section. I was so frightened, but mostly concerned for our little baby we wanted so badly. (I had a miscarriage the year before and I didn’t want anything to happen to this baby.)

Every time I had a contraction, the baby’s heartbeat would drop, so they put me on oxygen. They took me to the delivery room early, so I would be there when it was time to deliver the baby. Once I was completely dilated, the Dr. told me I had to wait for a full 20 minutes before I could deliver our baby. The reason for this was the baby’s bottom was coming first and the Dr. didn’t want the baby’s head to get caught in the cervix as this would strangle the baby. After this news, the nurse checked me, and told us we were going to have a little boy. That was the longest, hardest, 20 minutes of my life up to that point. I was so scared something was going to happen to our baby boy and I wanted him so much that I was willing to go through whatever I needed to, so he could get here safely.

After waiting the twenty minutes, the delivery went much better than I anticipated. Our new little son arrived safe and sound. They immediately put oxygen on Steve, but he was a healthy, beautiful baby.

Dr. Francis said breech babies were very quiet and didn’t do much after birth, but our little guy came into this world screaming and fighting. He wanted us to know he was here. He weighed 7 lbs. 14 oz. and was 21 inches long.

Steve was the fussiest baby we had (up to that point, Matt and Dave) But we loved him so much and were so grateful he arrived safely, that we were willing to put up with it for a few months.

I will always remember those feelings of gratitude to my Heavenly Father for helping us get Steve here safely. We have always been so grateful for Steve. You are a wonderful son. We are thankful for Amy and the little girls. Have a wonderful birthday!!!!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

How cute is this post?!! I love the baby picture, what a chunk!! Your family is darling.

Ben and Shara said...

I love the little journal entry. It's blogs like this that make me want to do better with keeping a journal.