Sunday, January 25, 2009

Grandma Elizabeth

My sweet Grandmother Foy passed away just before Thanksgiving at the age of 91. She was staying in Las Vegas with my parents at the time of her death. We all gathered in Panguitch, UT for her funeral the weekend before Thanksgiving. This picture above was taken on Brooklyn's blessing day in April of 2006. It is a four generation picture. My grandma always tried to make special occasions like this. Family was so important to her, and now my family will miss her very much. She was a wonderful woman, and a great example to me.

I was lucky to inherit a few things of hers. One thing we got was some of her red apple china dishes. I remember eating on these dishes every Sunday when we were there visiting her in Panguitch. I remember helping wash them by hand after each of those meals. I love them. I will think of her as I use them with my family. I also got a sewing machine, which I am sorry to say I don't know how to use yet. My mom is embarrassed that I don't know how to sew. But one day I would like to learn, so it's not too late mom! And the last thing I got was her beautiful red, long winter coat. When I went to try it on, I noticed the tag inside said "petite." Well, I am definietly not a "petite" girl, so when I put it on it was no surprise that the sleves were five inches too short. Steve and I had a great laugh about that. But when I put my hands inside the pockets I found something that brought back another memory. Inside were a few tic tacs. I remember as a little girl going to church with my grandma and she always had tic tacs in her black purse. She would give them to us to keep us quiet, or she would hand us her purse and let us find them ourselves. I was very lucky to have a grandma who loved me so much.

3 comments:

Natalie said...

How sweet. I am really lucky that all of my grandparents are still alive and well. I think being close to your grandparents is quite the blessing. Sounds like yours was a very sweet lady.

~ann said...

Yeah - you finally updated your blog!!! And this is a sweet entry. It's fun to hear what you remember about Grandma because it reminds me of those things too. :) Love you!

Mindy said...

Thats so sweet. I love that picture!